"Walter Dnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   After my most recent sync and update, I checked the elogs for any
> configuration stuff or warnings.  When a build throws a "postinst"
> message, I expect an important message, e.g. gtk2 says...

> LOG: postinst
> You need to rebuild ebuilds that installed into /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0
> to do that you can use qfile from portage-utils:
> emerge -va1 $(qfile -qC /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.[^1]*)

Even those are not always appropriate. Sometimes messages like that
are displayed even when, for the particular build it is not actually
necessary to rebuild the other packages - that only being necessary
when upgrading from version <x.y. This can lead to users either
performing unnecessary (and sometimes lengthy) rebuilds or getting so
used to seeing the message that the next time a rebuild really is
needed they do not do it (the "cry wolf" syndrome).