Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:

In almost every kernel release a security problem is found, that is fixed in a stable release.

Stable release? AFAIK, *all* 2.6.x releases are stable releases. The days of double trees (2.4.x and 2.5.x) are gone. Probably I don't get what you mean. I use x86 kernels, not ~x86: that's what you mean as stable? I don't understand.

and between that blue moons, your box is wide open to attacks.

Well, if in *every* kernel there is *always* a security problem, my box is always open to attacks... :)

(I understand your point, however. I didn't realize the linux kernel was so full of security holes. I thought it was one of the most secure components. Why aren't there GLSAs for the kernel?)

Which risk? Which mess? There is not a risk, if you use oldconfig.

oldconfig doesn't always work well between major releases (2.6.x vs 2.6.x+1).

But there is a big risk in security holes.

True, but can you explain me the points above?

m.