On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:25:24 +0400, Jeff Rollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In the last episode, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:

AG> Do you mean www.gentoo.org? If yes:
AG>
AG> IMHO this should not be filed as a bug. The colors all over the page are
AG> consistent and the links, which are not exactly purple, are visible.

The colors are consistent, but the links are only visible against the light
background of the side, not against the top.
Since AG> they turn to light green when the mouse points at them it is
 impossible to AG> click a wrong link.

That is obviously browser-dependent, since they don't change when I point to
them on mine. Besides, that is just bad design.

I agree that without the mouse highlight the menu may look badly with some monitors (that is, strangely configured CRT or not very good LCD; of course, I understand that there may be very good reasons to configure the monitor that way, so that adjusting the monitor is not a solution).

I do not insist on the following since it may cause a flame war, but I guess that if a browser does not respect the "a.menulink:hover" construct (which is responsible for the green highlight), then it is a buggy browser and a bug report should go to its developers.

Personally, I would ask the web designer to specify image sizes in the img tags, remove links that point to the very page being displayed, find another way to indicate that a link has been visited than making it bold (bold means something more important than plain, not less important since already visited), make the sidebar and top menus consistent, make the path to the page easier to see, and so on. However, I guess that it is impractical to fix all that right now due to the law of the diminishing returns.

So, I agree that the menu may cause inconveniences under some special conditions, but I vote against filing a bug. On my monitor the colors are just right. I cannot imagine any quick fix that will make the menu contrast higher without damage to the overall page consistency. I agree that a better design is possible, but what we have is good enough.

--
Andrei Gerasimenko