I currently have an HDTV hooked up to a desktop computer running
Gentoo and xfce4, all controlled by a wireless keyboard/mouse from the
couch.  It's awesome.  However, I think the next step is to control
everything from a laptop on the couch.  There would be a normal xfce4
desktop on the laptop, but you could issue certain commands to have
video or audio played through the desktop connected to the TV across
the room.

How would you set this up?  Maybe the actual xfce4 session is being
run on the desktop and the laptop uses VNC or NX to control that
session?  Is there a way to have certain audio or video launched on
the laptop via VNC or NX, but outputted by the desktop?

- Grant