On 2007-04-04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:26:47PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2007-04-04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Why do --nocolor and --color=n not work (sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.3)?
>> >
>> > Why does the damned thing default to thinking I want blaring bizarre
>> > colors scattered all over my screen?
>>
>> Yea, nothing is quite as readible as yellow or bright green on
>> a white background. I hate color output. I'm completely
>> baffled that anybody thinks it should be the default.
>
><sarcasm>All you have to do is double your font size and they become
> quite legible.</sarcasm>
>
>> > I CAN'T EVEN DISABLE IT BY SETTING TERM TO vt100.
>> >
>> > And if ALL THESE CAPS distress you and you think I am shouting, well
>> > goodness gracious, NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT COLORIZATION RUN AMUCK.
>>
>> Worse than emerge is that ls and other more commonly used
>> utilities all default to utterly-illegible mode on Gentoo.
>
> At least ls's color comes from that damned alias. You can at least
> use "/bin/ls" or prefix each command with "TERM=vt100" to get rid of
> them temporarily, or "unalias -a" to get rid of them permanently per
> login, or edit /etc/profile to get rid of them permanently forever.
Except "forever" only lasts until the next emerge replaces
/etc/profile.
> At least the color options actually work.
You've got a point there. :)
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Here I am at the flea
at market but nobody is buying
visi.com my urine sample bottles...
--
[email protected] mailing list