On Mittwoch, 4. April 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 03:29:42PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:09:30 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> > > Exactly. So, MHO is that it would be better if all the output from
> > > console apps was just plain text with the option for people who want
> > > colors to enable and customize colors, wouldn't it?
> >
> > Why? all you're doing there is changing to a different default colour
> > scheme (one where all text is the same). I really don't see the point in
> > changing, when I suspect the majority prefer colours. Switching colour
> > on and off is simple enough, to why disturb the status quo?
>
> (a) The unix standard for ages has been simple plain text output.
> Gentoo breaks that standard with a color default.  Gentoo has broken
> the standard; gentoo ought to honor the standard.

gentoo is not unix. Hell, linux is not unix. GNU even has it in its name. And
most unices are not very unicy.

> > What is absolutely clear is that none of this will be brought about by
> > ranting at and insulting the devs who do this for no pay. In fact, such
> > posts are against the new Gentoo Code of Conduct.
>
> I will explain why I consider gentoo to be run by amateurs, and I
> don't mean in the old sense of unpaid vs professionals, I mean in the
> shoddy sense of "try again in the next release" trial and error coding I
> have seen.

and you seem one of that 'leechy' type of persons, who use stuff made by
others for free - and when it does not fullfull their dreams, they start
insulting the 'makers' and rant around instaed of trying to find a way to
change it.

> Some bright eyes linked /bin/ls against some /usr/lib library, maybe
> gpm, I forget, which made my system unbootable.  No boot partition
> command should EVER be linked outside the boot partition.

you confuse boot and root. Sweet.

> Some genius set up an ebuild to remove a library which /bin/lvm was
> linked against, which made my system unbootable.

wow, I can't believe that such an error happend in the stable tree. Would you
like to post the bug number?

> Several other now-forgotten similar breakages which rendered my system
> unbootable.  Gentoo is the absolute first Unix system I have used in
> 25 years which I have been leery of rebooting for wondering if I will
> have to break out the rescue disk yet again.

hm, strange. I never had any boot problems. Wait, I had.. when I tried some
experimental, patched to death glibc from the forums, and when I had to
downgrade sometime later, udev and some other stuff broke. Nothing that could
not be fixed with some thinking, and definetly my fault.

Have you used forum ebuilds?

> As for colorization, my recollection is that it first appeared as hard
> coded escape sequences in every single message in /usr/bin/emerge.
> This was such atriociously bad  coding that I just edited it out,
> figuring that a bug report would be lost on such feeble minds.

another insult. Great. You really are a parasite, aren't you? No, you don't
file a bug, no, you don't post your patch - it could be used - gasp, the
horror! Instead you insult the ones working hard to create it in the first
place.

Maybe you should step down some notches? The air must be pretty thin up there?

> It then moved to actual variable assignments with the appropriate
> names, still hard coded.  What the heck is termcap / terminfo for if
> worked around like that?

well, maybe just maybe it is because termcap/terminfo and a lot of shells are
broken in many and subtle ways and someone tried to work around that? Just
maybe?

> Once more I shook my head and edited it out
> rather than waste time educating supposedly intelligent developers on
> the horrors of hard coded magic values.

oh, it is ok for them to waste their time, but not for you?

> For some reason, hard coded
> magic numbers seem to be a favorite of newbies, and I have long since
> learned that those developers who like hard coded magic numbers seem
> to be particularly dead set against having anyone tell them why that
> is bad practice.

*yawn*

> Along the way, various color controls appeared, none of them working
> particularly well.  I have listed them above.  None of them work.
> Apparently the Gentoo standard is to add features without testing
> them.

wow, because one 'feature' does not work as expected, you are able to conclude
that everything is broken.

Hm, the last time I tried to use 'nocolor' it worked just fine. But that was a
long time ago. I like the colors. Especially on a black background. Makes
finding new newsflags and other stuff easy.

> I use gentoo because portage *mostly* works, the ebuild packages
> *mostly* work, I have an amd64 system and slackware has no 64 bit
> version (I am aware of the unofficial one), I can't stand RedHat and
> the other big corporate systems, and Debian leaves me cold with its
> political bickering.  I do NOT advise friends to use gentoo, and I
> would be amazed if any business tried to use it for production.

You might be surprised, there are ones.

The problem are people like you. Ranting, attacking and insulting others over
cosmetic problems, but do nothing at all to change it.

I am really disgusted.