Hi all..

Certainly some package have a maximun optimisation. I really believe, the
optimisation level is a very interesting thing bucause all depend of what
you need and you have all power of your system, only gentoo can give you
that.

it's very good to see a server compiling most of the applications, and
people with few resources in thier pc's can run a very good operating system
and no die trying... :P

Looking for more information on the web, I see
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7269.

In that article: "...The simplest way to achieve good performance is to rely
on the -O2 optimization level; if you're not interested in portability,
specify the target architecture using -march=. For space-constrained
applications, the -Os optimization level should be considered first.."

All is your decision based in what you need...

On 4/10/07, Uwe Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10 April 2007, maxim wexler wrote:

> Interesting. Just completed emerge -uvDN world using
> the "-03 -pipe" cflags in make.conf for the PIII arch.
> I noticed as the output scrolled by that the flags I
> set were being used for all packages *except* gcc
> which used "-02 -pipe".

Some packages (ebuilds) set a maximum optimisation. Gcc is one of them,
OpenOffice another one.

Uwe

--
A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2