On 4/10/2007 3:20 PM Drew Tomlinson wrote:
My cron program is sys-process/vixie-cron-4.1-r9 and all cron jobs but one are running as I expect. Specifically, I want the following command to execute from cron:

/usr/share/mythtv/mythrename.pl --format "%T %- %Y-%m-%d_%g-%i %A %- %S" --link /tv/pretty

However it fails to run and I get this error message emailed to me from cron:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:07:01 -0700
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> /usr/share/mythtv/mythrename.pl --format "

/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

So I suspected the quotes in my command line might be the problem and I removed the '--format " ..."' part. Thus my command looked like this:

/usr/share/mythtv/mythrename.pl --link /tv/pretty

But still I received email with the same error.

I don't understand what cron doesn't like. The command runs just fine as the user from the command line. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Never mind. Although I was editing the crontab with 'crontab -e', I wasn't exiting out of my editor between edits. I was only hitting the save button. Thus because I didn't actually exit the editor, the updated crontab was not getting installed. Sorry for the noise.

Thanks,

Drew

P.S. Yes, the problem was with the quotes as I suspected earlier. Escaping the quotes (\") solved the problem.

--
Be a Great Magician!
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com