Hi group,

This is a puzzler. Can't get no relief. Can't be
hardware cause it only started happening with this
current 2.6.19-r5 install.

Modules for video card, Rage 128 and frambuffer are
not loaded.

The screen goes blank after an interval as though it
were going to sleep. But it can't be awoken. The
screen also goes blank when an attempt is made to
switch to another console with ctrl-alt-fn.

Only way to restore console is to reboot(the keyboard
still works) and start all over again.

Then a) keep hitting a key to keep it from going to
sleep and b) never attempt looking at another console
if you want to see what you're doing.

And here's another complication: once it goes blank
any bolded type on the console can be made just barely
visible by cranking the brightness to the max.

So it's not *completely* blank but it is definitely
useless.

Oh, and I ran

#setterm -blank 0

Did no good.

Here's the graphics/console part of .config:

#
# Graphics support
#
# CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID is not set
CONFIG_FB=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m
# CONFIG_FB_MACMODES is not set
# CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ARC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
CONFIG_FB_ATY128=m
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBLA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK=y
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE=128
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set

Does it have to do with this dummy console? Am I the
dummy? I went through the config pages with a fine
tooth comb and couldn't find it. No idea how it got
into the .config file.

-mw