On Saturday 14 April 2007 15:34:59 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>  > # mkdir -p /etc/portage/env/mail-client
> >
> > # CAT << END > /etc/portage/env/mail-client/evolution
> > CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O1 -ggdb -pipe"
> > FEATURES="$FEATURES splitdebug"
> > END
> >
> > Likewise for gnome-extra/evolution-data-server.
>
> I think here is some clarification needed, at least for me!
> Is this functionality now implemented in portage or do need the
> third-party-tools like [...]

Sort of no to both actually..

> And if it is implemented in portage do i need a /etc/portage/bashrc file
> or just the env folder with my paket specific settings in the
> category/app structure?

It works because of [1] which means that as long as you are using a profile
that inherit from the base profile (all supported profiles do) you don't need
to add anything to /etc/portage/bashrc.

Functionality wise it is in no way different from putting a case construct like:

case "${CATEGORY}/${PN}" in
    mail-client/evolution | gnome-extra/evolution-data-server )
    CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O1 -ggdb -pipe"
    FEATURES="$FEATURES splitdebug"
    ;;
esac

in /etc/portage/bashrc.

This also means that not all FEATURES set there are going to be respected.
Only the ones that are read in bash code by portage. That does, however,
include splitdebug.

[1]
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/base/profile.bashrc?rev=1.1&view=markup

--