On Wednesday 18 April 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about '[gentoo-user]
Add a module post kernel config/build':

> Details: After looking thru the handbook, especially section about
> kernel config, I don't see information about how to add a module once
> a kernel is built and running.

For in-tree modules, go into the kernel source directory, use menuconfig or
whatever to set that configuration setting to 'm', make, make
modules-install.  (Or, at least, that's my preferred method modulo typos.)

Changing kernel settings doesn't always require a new kernel image; here's
a table (please view in a fixed width font.

Old New Result
N   M   Rebuild modules
N   Y   Rebuild image
M   N   No rebuild needed
M   Y   Rebuild image [1]
Y   N   Rebuild image
Y   M   Rebuild image

If the image needs rebuilding, you'll also need to rebuild all modules.
You'll also want to re-install anything you had to rebuild.

[1]: Remove the module from /lib/modules to make sure you don't try and
load it twice.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))