On 23 April 2007, ames wrote:

> > > It sounds like Gigabit Ethernet to me.
> >
> > Keep in mind that not all fastE or gigE switches support jumbo frames.
> > Additionally not all cards support jumbo frames either though you can
> > certainly set them to an MTU of 9000 and watch things break.
> >
> > To the original poster, I'd do some googling and verify that all the
> > network cards and switches involved can do jumbo frames and that it is
> > enabled on each device as needed.
> >
> > kashani
>
> Does NFS have any negotiations to determine if jumbo frames can work
> between 2 system, then use a smaller mtu if a larger (jumbo) mtu
> is not suppported between devices?

Don't stare at NFS.  It's too high a layer in the TCP/IP stack.  And yes, it
can deal with large packets. You can use NFS with localhost (127.0.0.1),
right? That one usually has an MTU of 16,436.

The real issues with MTUs occur at layer 2 (ethernet or whatever you are
using), IP (fragmentation and de-fragmentation) and ICMP (MTU discovery).

Uwe

--
The Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na