Hi kashani,
on Monday, 2007-04-23 at 11:11:40, you wrote:
> >It sounds like Gigabit Ethernet to me.

Yes, that's it.

> Keep in mind that not all fastE or gigE switches support jumbo frames.
> Additionally not all cards support jumbo frames either though you can
> certainly set them to an MTU of 9000 and watch things break.

I had that problem before with the Server's onboard Broadcom chip;
fortunately it just breaks completely when you up the MTU :) Now I
installed an Intel 82545GM card that officially supports jumbo frames
and that I haven't heard anyone complain about. The clients all have the
same 82547EI onboard chip.

> To the original poster, I'd do some googling and verify that all the
> network cards and switches involved can do jumbo frames and that it is
> enabled on each device as needed.

Check. The switches are HP ProCurve 2824 supporting up to 9216 bytes per
frame, and I checked the config several times. Jumbo frames are enabled
on all ports, and it's a rather basic config anyway, no VLANs 'n stuff,
no voice LAN features, just switching. And for everything else but NFS
locking it does work fine. A plain netcat from /dev/zero to /dev/null
goes from some 35 MB/s at an MTU of 1500 to over 80, ssh does very well,
and even NFS file operations other than locking work.
I have googled for quite a while but can't find a thing.
Anyone here using NFS and GigE+jumbo frames with Gentoo?

cheers!
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665