My system is extremely slow to switch back to a graphical TTY.  I'm not
talking about X starting up but just switching TTYs.  For example, if I'm
sitting at the KDM login screen and I hit CTL-ALT-F2 and switch to a text
mode TTY, it takes only a second to get a login prompt.  When I hit
CTL-ALT-F7 to switch back to graphical mode, the screen goes black and it
takes 25 to 30 seconds before I see the KDM login screen again.  I certainly
don't recall this process taking this long in the past.  Is it normal?

Running KDE 3.5 on an ATI Radeon 9600 with the open source drivers.