Denis schrieb:
> I'm looking into upgrading to Intel Core 2 Duo (or Quad) family -
> perhaps the E6600 Conroe.  I'm trying to figure out which
> motherboard/chipset would suit my needs best.  I'm planning to install
> Gentoo Linux on the system, and I need it to be, first and foremost,
> stable and reliable - mainly to be used for number crunching (e. g.,
> Mathematica), simulations, etc...  No gaming.  I'm between getting an
> Intel board with the D975X chipset and a board with the NVidia 680i
> chipset.  Which of these chipsets is more favored in the Linux
> community and which might do better with number crunching
> applications?

Why not use the 965P-chipset on a board like the Intel DP965LT?
Should be a bit cheaper than the D975X and if you don't need the
RAID-functionality, this is a very good board for working purposes IMO.

The 965-chipset even beat the 975 in some benchmarks I read ...

I use one here with a E6600, running gentoo on a 2.6.21-kernel
(dynticks), and everything runs fine and stable.

You have to use a kernel >=2.6.20 or so if you want to use the
Marvell-PATA-Chip (for CD-ROM or so), but no problem with this, also all
the other features (sata, sound, usb, Gbit-LAN, cpu frequency scaling
...) work fine.

Dunno about the nvidia-chipset, I personally chose the Intel-board after
reading some tests in the german c't-magazine where it did score good
points and seemed to fit my needs for a decent workhorse here.

Greets, Stefan.