Naga Toro wrote:

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 16.26.07 David Harel wrote:
Looking in: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml Code Listing
2.2 I have to do emerge -eav system and emerge -eav world. Isn't that
rebuilding the entire system?

First. please don't use html and top posting.
Sorry about that. The recipient gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org is set in my address book to "plain text" but thunderbird seems to ignore it.

Second, as stated just above that passage, it is not nessecary but recommended.
Here is a quotation from the doc:

To be completely safe that your system is in a sane state, you must rebuild the toolchain and then world to make use of the new compiler.

(Now how do I make the word MUST above underlined and bold?) ;-)

You must however follow listing 2.1 and I would recomend keeping the old gcc installed untill all packages have been upgraded/reemerged just in case.

--
Regards.

David Harel,

Home office +972 77 7657645