Hi, a few months ago I had the same problem, then :

emerge xf86-input-mouse
           xf86-video-fbdev
           xf86-video-vga [1]
           xf86-video-vesa [1]
           xf86-input-keyboard

Note: Only if you want because when you install the ati driver you don't
need neather of them.

By other side and very important (my recomendation), download ati
8.36driver and install it, reconfigure your
xorg.conf doing this
aticonfig --initial. It's a good idea you do a backup of your xorg.conf.

Please try that thing and please give us feedback :D

I hope be helpfully for you have a nice day :D