All versions of the ATI driver are blocking xorg-server 1.3 at the
moment so you are not going to get around that one easily.
If you look at the --tree to find out what package is asking for the
upgrade of xorg-server and then mask that? this may help.

On 08/05/07, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This link to the forum though I realise it is nvidia based it may give
> some further information the posts refer to a bug which further refers
> to another bug which is the ATI issue but the general point is there.

> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-556528-highlight-nvidia+block.html

Hello Stuart,

Interesting reading. Here's what I currently used on my system:

x11-base/xorg-server  Installed versions:  1.1.1-r1

x11-drivers/ati-drivers   Installed versions:  8.35.5

This all works with my ATI 1900XT card (glx gears runs
on a full 22 inch widescreen (1680 x 1050) at 1800 FPS.
The little default 2x2 runs glxgears at 11,000 FPS.

This might explain why every permutaion of ati-drivers
and xorg-server that I entered into /etc/portage/package.mask
does not neutralize the request to upgrade xorg-server to 1.3.0.0

## I tried every permutation possible here, nothings masks
##the upgrade request so I can continue with routine upgrades
<=x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.1-r1
>=x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5

blocks B   x11-drivers/ati-drivers (
is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.0.0)

I did not glean from the discussion how to neutralize the erroneous
upgrade request so I can perform the other upgrades. Any ideas on that?

James

"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown