Hello everyone,

I recently had to reset my clock to a more "correct" (that may be subjective)
setting.
In your case I would set my /etc/conf.d/clock file as:

CLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="US/Pacific"
then I would assure that my /etc/localtime file is correct with the next
command:

$ cp  /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific /etc/localtime

If you have no zoneinfo files then consider emerging 'timezone-data'.
The setting like that should be fine and if you have an offset it's that your
hardware clock
must be set to a time that is considered as UTC (since you have "CLOCK=UTC" in
your conf)
while it's not.

So set your clock correctly  with rdate, ntp whatever...
and then write your system clock to your hardware clock (I guess this action is
done at shut down).
You may use the following command :

$ hwclock --systohc

Then your machine is ready to have correct time as UTC. Be sure to have your
profile
environnement variable TZ to be set to your timezone. In your .profile :

export TZ="US/Pacific";

Concerning dual boot.. as I am in !! Everywhere I could see advice to set my CLOCK var to
"local"
but that's always a mess with the timezone... so the simple thing is to
deactivate the Microsoft Windows
update or at least to set it to UTC time..
Thus keeping CLOCK="UTC" which would be a quite good standard.
But I understand Gentoo is installed to cause no harm to Windows, thats why there is this
CLOCK="local" attitude
I guess.

Hope that helps
I'd be happy to share the pros and the cons...

--
Redouane BOUMGHAR
Physics, Remote Sensing and Digital Imagery Engineer