Am Montag 14 Mai 2007 08:46 schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> I am new to Gentoo, and working on getting things up and going.  I am
> running an HP Pavilion with an Athlon 64 processor.  I'll build a
> desktop eventually when I have the time, but for now this is it.
>
> I am attempting to install the x86 version of Gentoo from the i686
> stage3 tarball, and so far have had no luck getting the ATI video
> drivers to compile.  (My reason for this is that I wish to be able to
> run the current version of blender, which seems to have issues under
> AMD64 at this time.)  However, if I do a networkless install, it works
> fine, but there are strange issues with upgrading.  Portage has no love
> for a synthesized system. :P
>
> Anyway, I will probably post actual error messages in the near future if
> I can't figure it out myself.  In the mean time, I'm wondering how many
> people on the list are military or retired military living in the
> pacific AOR (especially Kanto).  If you want you can respond directly on
> this one. ^_^  I'm not asking to fill the list with the info! Hehe.
>
> Also, what is the difference between the Gentoo LiveCD and the LiveDVD?
> What are the advantages of the DVD?  I am considering downloading it if
> there is adequate benefit.
>
> ---
> Ken.

Hi Ken!

As long as you've got a decent Internet connection there is no real reason for
using the LiveDVD. I don't know how good the new 2007.0 is. 2006.1 was a real
pain.
However, if you want the system up and going really quick, it might be worth a
try since you can use more precompiled packages from the DVD.

Back to your ATI issue:

At first, I'd like to make sure you've followed some good howtos.  Just take a
look to this site if there is a guide to your laptop [1].
If not, you can follow this one [2].

[1] http://tuxmobil.org/hp.html
[2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers

Regards