On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re:
[gentoo-user] Managing my kernel':
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 09:21:17 +0200
> Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 May 2007 03:57, Dan Farrell wrote:
> > >
> > > But Why?  What's the benefit?
> >
> > [S]ome rootkits
> > use LKMs, and removing loadable modules support might help to prevent
> > such attacks.
>
> I'd never heard of LKM rootkits, although the
> concept is I suppose a good one, as far as defeating security goes.  I
> must say I'm not going to start worrying about it, but point taken

The (GPL'd) rootkit I was able to look at didn't even use LKMs, it simply
patched the kernel live via /proc/kcore.  The version I saw probably
wouldn't work anymore, but LKMs aren't the only way a rootkit can take
hold.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))