SOLVED.

I was able to configure and compile the kernel and configure a working
Gentoo system that gives me no errors at boot :-)

I am not sure what went wrong the first time.  I selected the same
basic driver support within the kernel as the first time, except I
didn't bother with some of the other bells and whistles I first had in
there.  Perhaps now that I have a working system, I can play with the
kernel and see what works, since I can always fall back onto a working
kernel and still have a running system.

I'm glad this is solved because I was getting really annoyed at myself here...

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
-Denis