Hi,

you can learn the xml concepts at http://www.w3schools.com/. Then,
depending on the language you choose, there is lots of libs to deal
with xml in many languages. Though you always have two different ways
of parsing your xml file: a SAX parser approach, that runs on an
element-by-element process, retrieving each element with no view on
the next ones. The second way is a DOM object builder, parsing the xml
file as a whole, then giving you back the whole tree as an object that
can browse later with a set of methods. The later is faster to get all
the information of the xml, but takes more memory since the whole xml
tree must be built first. You have to look for the libs of your
language now for further details, but the choice between the two is
crucial. I remind a Xmlchecker java tool I wrote to run no-diff
tests.... I implemented first with jdom, and it was good..... until I
had to deal with 300 Mb files ... and rewrite the whole browsing
engine with SAX.

Gal'