Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2007 19:28:09 +0100
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > sshd will always search in the home directory as specified
> > in /etc/passwd (in the normal case) or more sophisticated solutions
> > like LDAP or NSS. So make sure it really *is* configured as the home
> > directory.
>
> Aha! We're getting somewhere.  There's no /home/mic specified in /etc/passwd
> but /:
>
> mick:x:502:10::/:/bin/bash
>
> What do you make of this?!

LART your admin :-) and be sure he/she corrects that to read the "real"
homedir instead... (well, you could just use / as your home, but I
guess your admin didn't give you rights to write stuff there...) All
the details in "man 5 passwd".

For obvious reasons, specifying your home dir from SSH client side upon
connection is not possible. Otherwise, a lot of public keys for the
root account would be lingerin' around in /tmp, I guess ;-)

-hwh