Hi,

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:07:33 -0500 Albert Hopkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:45 +0200, Johannes Skov Frandsen wrote:
> > testing if apache works is easy, you just go to http://localhost and
> > see
> > if something happens,
> > but how do I test if postfix actual sends my mail?
>
> Well, you set up a web server to deliver web content.  I'm assuming
> you're setting up a mail server to deliver mail.  So the test is to
> see that it delivers mail.
>
> Not that I've ever used postfix, but testing a mail server should be
> pretty similar for any platform.
>
>      1. Create a mailbox (or use a remote one)
>      2. Using a MUA, for example, connect to mail server.
>      3. Send message to be delivered to mailbox
>      4. Verify message delivered to mailbox.

Except that this is more the test case for /receiving/ mail :-)
But yes, looking at the mail server's configuration, this is most
likely the more interesting test case. Sending, after all, should just
work fine with almost any mail server...

Since OP did set up with SASL, it might also be interesting whether
non-local originating mail is blocked for relay (test case: Send a mail
with the server's mail domain address -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- to
some other server out there from a computer not in the trusted address
range) and if that can be cured by proper authentication. But the OP
didn't mention setting up SASL by any means. It'll probably work using
PAM out-of-the-box.

-hwh