On Friday 01 June 2007 11:51, Dale wrote:

> On this, I turned the volume up and it answers the phone just fine.  It
> starts the handshake part then connects at 26400 like is usually does.
> The only difference is that BellSouth does not seem to send a login
> prompt and my system does know what to do so it just tries to connect
> blind as a bat without sending the login/password.

This indicates that you have set it up to use link control protocol (LCP)
which is the first part of establishing a PPP link, but BellSouth may be
using CHAP?

> We have caller ID here and it works fine.  My brother who uses windoze
> and lives next door uses them and it works fine for them.  I may try it
> again to see if anything has changed.  Maybe it needed time to use the
> caller ID to see we are allowed to connect.
>
> I'm open to ideas though.  I have tried Kppp, wvdial and pon and get no
> joy out of it at all.  No worky.  :-(

I assume that you have tried out the different authentication methods in kppp
(pap/chap and what not).  Not sure if the use of tcpdump and, or wireshark
would show anything particularly revealing here?  This would be more
meaningful if you compare with a dial up number that actually works.

From what I understand BellSouth use 'TCP header compression' which I believe
requires the vj-max-slots option enabled in pppd, but don't know for sure
what the number should be, if this is enabled by default, etc. (you could try
from 2 to 16 and see what gives).

Additionally, a chat with the ISPs' sysadmin might help (if need be with
giving you a login script).  If their system works with OSX which I believe
it does, it would probably work with Linux too.
--
Regards,
Mick