On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:22:02PM +0300, Ali Polatel wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> yazmış:
> > I've had two incidents where encfs has failed due to some
> > incompatability during upgrades..
> >
> > I'd like to switch to some other technique rather than have to worry
> > with maintaining a working environment for encfs/fuse.
> >
> > Can anyone vouch for another system that has been very reliable for
> > them?
> >
> > My needs are small.  I normally use a 200M or so encrypted file
> > mounted as disk.
> >

>  dm-crypt[1] and loop-aes[2] are two alternatives. The former has been
> very reliable for me so far.
>
> [1] http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/

Yep, I've been using dm-crypt with LUKS for a while now, without any
problems whatsoever. Asks me for the passphrase when I bootup, then
merrily continues on its way. You can also use a USB disk or some
other medium to store the passphrase.

It's been a while since I set it up, so I'm rather rusty on how it
all fits together now, but follow
http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
and you'll go far.

Good luck,

Nick

--
GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc     GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
  GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F