Am Sonntag 03 Juni 2007 18:03 schrieb Dan Farrell:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:16:33 +0200
>
> Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Am Samstag 02 Juni 2007 20:03 schrieb Jeff Horelick:
> > > Florian,
> > >
> > > That's not that big of a difference...Also, Gentoo/Linux does not
> > > have powersaving for every device like Windows XP...it's writing to
> > > the hard drive more often and it doesn't spin as much down when
> > > it's not in use to help performance. Also, if i was you, i'd be
> > > worried about your system using that LITTLE energy especially since
> > > you have a pretty hefty CPU, video card, motherboard, 2 hardrives
> > > and al the rest of your components.

> > Well, I've forgotten to mention that I didn't substract all
> > peripheral devices. My new calculations (idle, nothing but the big
> > black box under my desk): Linux 137W, Win 114W (20% or 18EUR / 20$
> > p.a.).
> >
> > It seems I can't disable my onboard WLAN completely and while Win
> > deactivates it because I don't provide drivers, Linux gives it some
> > power although no software is accessing it.
> >
> > By the way: Maximum output while testing with 3DMark 2006: 219W. I
> > wonder why I had to buy a 400W power supply...
>
> Maybe you can power off the wlan with a wireless-utils program, or
> maybe by unloading the kernel module?
>
> Have you set up power management, powersave frequency governors?  Have
> you set up your disk(s) to idle quickly?

There is no kernel module. I'll play around with modules, configs and tools
later. It's not urgent, it was more like a mystery that I wanted to solve.

Yes, powermanagement (aka "PowerNow!") is activated. No, my disks do not spin
down and should not because of the attrition (I hope that's the right word)
that comes with spinning up.

Anyway, thanks for your input, guys!