On 6/5/07, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I had firestarter-1.0.3 emerged for quite some time.  I hadn't really
> used it, but I'm a bit surprised now to find that it's interfering
> with normal emerges because it's got a big red "M" smacked on it.
>
> I suppose that means there's a problem with it, and it's explained in
> some forum or list that I don't normally get.  But now I'd like a
> clue: what's the {prognosis, workaround, fix, alternative}. As I
> mentioned, I hadn't really started to use it, but I'd like to have a
> better firewall tool than building iptables scripts in vim.

This is from the Gentoo dev list.

> The upstream development for firestarter has been dead for some time
> (last news update Jul 31 2005).  Recent changes to the netfilter code
> in the kernel have caused firestarter not to work (see bug #179792).
> That bug has a patch that fixes that particular problem but the fact that
> upstream is dead, the several other open bugs about firestarter and the
> fact that I no longer use it myself mean I'm masking it for removal.
>
> I feel there are several good alternatives in net-firewall/ to use as
> replacements for the iptables-generating aspect of firestarter.  If
> someone
> would like to pick up and maintain this package, they're welcome to it,
> otherwise, I'll remove it in thirty days.
>
> Michael Sterrett
>   -Mr. Bones.-

So, if you like firestarter, better say something pretty soon.  ;-)

That help any??

Dale

That helps some, but in net-firewall I'm finding a lot of unstable
packages, and no really good idea which ones will be the best for a
personal firewall, let alone which ones are best supported upstream so
this doesn't happen to me again.  So I'm interested in
recommendations.  What did you switch to?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD