Hi all,
 thanks for replying. Actually the network with the fixed IP would be
used only for accessing the machine from the internet (that would be
its only use), since the other address is masked behind closed
network.

regards,
marco

On 6/11/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:19:58 +0200 "Marco Calviani"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    i would like some technical advice concerning the possibility of
> mounting two network devices on the same desktop computer. One network
> card (which is binded to a fixed IP) allows me to allow the machine to
> be visible on the public network, while the second one (faster, the
> one i've installed now) is used to work. Would it be possible to
> install both of them, with the first one used only for accessing the
> machine from an external site?

From hardware and driver side of the problem: Yes, of course. The other
question, and you really didn't clarify on this, is whether your
intended routing setup would work with such a configuration. But since
Linux is extremely configurable in that regard, you probably can
archive sensible results. Just specify a bit more information, like the
networks (address/netmask) coming into play here.

If both of your NICs are routing to the internet and you're offering
services to the internet, the answer packets from those services will
always take the route w/ lowest metric by default. You'd have to mark
the packets e.g. w/ iptables on a user or application basis in order to
influence routing so that outgoing "service traffic" takes another way
than outgoing "other traffic". But don't hesitate to tell more about
your intended setup, it'll get probably easier to help you then.

-hwh