Hello Alan McKinnon,

> 'emerge *-meta' is fine if one wants everything, or 'emerge kopete
> kmail konqueror' if you just want a few bits like me, but there's this
> large no-man's land in the middle where it is just unweildy. No fault
> of Gentoo, it's all KDEs fault for having 300+ distinct apps/code
> bodies :-)

But you don't need all of them in world, many are only installed as
dependencies of other packages. I have most of KDE installed here, yet
only 67 kde-base packages in world. You could reduce that sill further
by using more than the two meta packages I currently have.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q: Why do PCs - even modern ones - have reset buttons on the front?