On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:30:39 -0500
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My locally installed man page doesn't provide any other explanations for that
> return code, so I'm still betting it's one of those things.  However, someone
> more skilled than I might be able to spend some time digging through libc
> and/or the kernel to determine an alternative cause.

Well, you win...
I looked at least once at `ls -ld /*' and saw nothing out of the
ordinary. Then, I just checked again and there it was, /lib64 had the
permission '000'. Guess I should've checked more thorough, especially
when you mentioned path_resolution(2), sorry.

But at last everything works again, thanks everyone!

        Jan-Hendrik Zab