At Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:56:12 +0100 Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure, but since your device is networked and you want the full functionality
> this will definitely require the snmp flag AND the scanner flag.
>
> Hope this helps.

Indeed the comments on this group and the hplip list have been quite
helpful.

The snmp use flag is required for a network printer (the wiki had this
but I somehow missed it).

The only problem on the gentoo end is that the ppd files are not put
where hp-setup wants them.

* For the printer not so bad, since hp-setup offers a manual
  specification ability.

* For the fax, no manual specification is offer (I commented on this
  to the hplip list) so adding a symlink is necessary

Thanks for your help.  At this point I have printing (always did, but
now the printer is using hplip) and scanning, the latter was the goal
of the project.  The fax is recognized by hp-setup, but a complaint is
given and I am not a heavy fax user so I am please with the output.
I am following up the fax issue on the hplip list.

Question:  Do you think the fact that the ppd files are not put in the
right place for hplip is a bug I should file?

thanks,
allan