Dimitar Toshev wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2007, Mick wrote:
> > On Friday 01 June 2007 20:09, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > It is a ATI Radeon 9250 (128 MB-AGP, 200/240 MHz). I added fglrx and
> > > radeon to my VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf, now it is
> > > VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon nvidia nv vesa vga fbdev". X was updated
> > > with "emerge -uN xorg-x11".
> >
> > You need either the radeon driver OR the ati-drivers.  Up to you.  If
> > the former take everything else out of VIDEO_CARDS="...." except for
> > radeon and try configuring your xorg.conf.  Alternatively, take radeon
> > out, put fglrx in and emerge ati-drivers before you try to configure
> > your xorg.conf again.

Is it really necessary to have only one entry in VIDEO_CARDS? I used to have
several, just in case.

> > If I were you I would first read really carefully this:
> >
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml
>
> ATI has discontinued support for 9250 and below for some time now. The
> only option is the open-source radeon driver. It's quite good, actually -
> much more stable than fglrx, has support for almost all features of the
> cards (tvout is a notable exception) and you never have to worry that the
> next Xorg or kernel update will break your graphics drivers.

Too bad, tvout was one of the features I was happy to have now :)

Sorry for not responding for such a long time, but I was away from my
computer at home. I tried a little more, but with no success. But I decided
to change the card, because the image quality is rather bad, teh widnows
cast shadows onto the desktop. It is okay if I plug the monitor directly
into the card, but I need to have an extension cable. It is a rather
expensive one, without much loss in image quality, except with this special
graphics card.

Now I am trying out some other cards. The problem is that I cannot get a
fresh xorg.conf file. X -configure always fails with these messages (like
in my first posting):

weird ~ # X -configure :1
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/weird:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: 22 January 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.20-gentoo-r7 i686
Current Operating System: Linux weird 2.6.20-gentoo-r7 #6 PREEMPT Fri Jun 1
05:21:29 CEST 2007 i686
Build Date: 01 June 2007
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Tue Jun 26 01:10:30 2007
List of video drivers:
        ati
        atimisc
        radeon
        nv
        nvidia
        r128
        fglrx
        fbdev
        vesa
        vga

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0xa9) [0x80af86f]
1: X(DoConfigure+0x199) [0x80a367b]
2: X(InitOutput+0x186) [0x80967b0]
3: X(main+0x305) [0x806e405]
4: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xdc) [0xb7ced83c]
5: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0xa1) [0x806d9c1]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

The log file (http://wonkology.org/~wonko/tmp/Xorg.1.log for example) does
not seem to contain more information of value.

I have X running, but only by using an old xorg.conf file where I exchanged
the Driver line. This seems to work for plain 2D, but I guess to use all
features I need a new one.

The version is xorg-x11-7.2 and xorg-server-1.2.0-r3, emerge --info is here:
http://wonkology.org/~wonko/tmp/emerge.info

        Alex