Hi,

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:42:55 +0100
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have used VideoDownloader with Firefox and FLV Downloader (which didn't
> work) and Video Manager  with Opera.  It seems that the downloaded video is
> very jumpy (drops huge number of frames) when played back using xine/gxine.

Hm. That shouldn't be an effect here, since those plugins/widgets don't
capture the stream off the network device (packet socket), where
packets could get lost. FLV usually doesn't react good on dropouts
either, it's not streamed via UDP for that reason, I guess. So I'm not
quite sure if you can overcome the jumps...

But FWIW, my method is to "start" the video (i.e. clicking on it so the
flash player opens), then immediately pause it. When the player's "gray
bar" filled up, the FLV is waiting for a quick "cp" on the command line
as temporary file in /tmp (named "Flash<random string>"). Some flash
players utilize the browser to download the FLV, then it will be in the
browser's cache directory. Works all the time, I don't bother with
extensions/plugins anymore...

BTW, my preferred player for those is vlc. But it should work with any
player linked against a reasonably recent ffmpeg.

-hwh