On 7/3/2007 9:36 AM James Ausmus said the following:

On 7/3/07, Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon
Xpress 1100 IGP]

(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

I'm at a loss.  Can some kind soul please point me in the right
direction toward the steps needed to get 3D acceleration on my laptop?
Should I be using x11 or ATI drivers?  And if ATI drivers, any idea what
is might be conflicting in my kernel?

No conflict in your kernel - the "taint" message means that you have
loaded a closed-source driver into your kernel - nothing to worry
about (unless you are interested in running a completely free/libre
system).

Can you post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

Thank you for your posts.

OK, I tried starting over again as when I wrote the above post, I wasn't trying to use the ati-driver. So I emerged ati-driver. However, when attempting to load the fglrx I get an "Operation not permitted error" (I remember this now). I am logged on as root. Please see this output:

tagalong ~ # lsmod Module Size Used by
ndiswrapper           190528  0
arc4                    2368  0
ecb                     3328  0
blkcipher               5316  1 ecb
cryptomgr               2944  0
crypto_algapi          10432  3 arc4,ecb,cryptomgr
ieee80211_crypt_wep     4864  0
pcmcia                 32344  0
yenta_socket           24332  1
rsrc_nonstatic         10048  1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core            34276  3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
ieee80211_crypt         5504  1 ieee80211_crypt_wep
i2c_piix4               9036  0
i2c_core               18880  1 i2c_piix4
tagalong ~ # modprobe fglrx
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.21-gentoo-r3/video/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted

So, I am confused. What exactly should "VIDEO_CARDS=" setting be in /etc/make.conf? ="radeon"? ="fglrx"? ="radeon fglrx"? I think I need to be sure I have everything set right, be sure to un-emerge any conflicting ports, and then re-emerge the proper ports. Can someone please point out the steps?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!