Hi group,

I posted earlier on this subject but scored no hits.
I've been poking around on the Web for answers but so
far without luck.

When I plug the player into port and $dmesg, this
comes up:

<snip>
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 2
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before
scanning
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB      FLASH DISK
V2.0  2120 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
usb-storage: device scan complete
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 3
usb-storage: device found at 3
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before
scanning
scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB      FLASH DISK
V2.0  2120 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
usb-storage: device scan complete

Why won't it assign a drive, like /dev/sda? It does on
another machine with virtually the same setup.

Nothing shows up in udevinfo, cat /proc/partitions.

but,

#lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:9826 Samsung Electronics
Co., Ltd

and

$cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
<snip>
S: Manufacturer=NewTech Inc
S: Product=USB Mass Storage Device 2.0
<snip>

I tried making the node manually(assuming /dev/sda)

#mknod /dev/sda b 8 0

but attempts to mount the device return "/dev/sda is
not a valid block device"

What am I missing?

Maxim