On 7/9/07, Galevsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
2007/7/8, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I think a more accurate message is 'Gentoo welcomes all, but as a
> potential Gentoo user you must be willing to learn. Gentoo does not
> attempt make *anything* 'easy or pretty' in preference to providing
> complete control.' Add what you will. that's just a start.

+1. Opening the door to unskilled does not mean to set live-cd &
auto-install projects to high priority, but providing docs and support
to people willing to learn.

Gal'
[...]

On that note, the live cd failed to install -- but only if it emerges
stuff.  If a network-less option is selected, it worked fine :)

I would humbly suggest that, as the consensus is that the live cd
fails, to simplify it.  Emerging packages fails?  don't offer that
option.  Seemed to work fine when everything was installed directly
off the CD.

Now all this n00b has to do is tweak portage, and, probably, recompile
everything including the kernel.  However, that's much easier from a
working system, and at my pace.  In the meantime, it works fine.

I'm not sure exactly what's entailed, but some sort of removing the
tree, syncing, dependancy cleaning, prune, deep, ...., then emerge
world.  Anyhow, that's next week for me.

Seriously, why offer a buggy installer?  Either remove it entirely or
grossly simplify it by only offering the off-line install which seems
to work.

-Thufir