I read a little bit of the new license, and restrictive though it may
be and also strange for a pillar of the open source community to
suddenly change is directive so drastically, I am still comforted.  I
believe the essential beauty of this community is that we cannot be
governed by software licenses alone.  If we do not like the language
of a license, we are by no means bound to employ it.  So, if GPLv3 is
as terrible as some say it is, then other people will not use it.

The true judge of GPLv3's merit will be its adoption.