Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:11:18 -0400
> Colleen Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I'm not thinking that the problem might be the DVD-RW drive - it's a
>> Ricoh and the specific problem that I was having was not being able to
>> hear audio CD's when using kscd.  I googled and found a blog by someone
>> who had an Inspiron 9300 with a Ricoh drive.  All that really was said
>> was that DMA was not enabled my default and to add a certain line to the
>> kernel header file (instructions were more explicit than this) and then
>> recompile the kernel.
>>

> I would first the obvious: your laptop might not have an audio cable
> attached to the audio output of your drive, or the drive might not have
> such output at all, or maybe your mother board has not an audiocd/aux
> audio input port. Try any audio program that can do digital audio
> extraction. Xmms can do that, I can't think of any other, maybe kscd
> has it, but you might need to enable it manually on its config. I don't
> really know.
>
> If that works, we found the problem.

Well, in response to this, I ripped a track from a CD using
kaudiocreator.  The track ripped, encoded and played fine from the hard
drive.

I'm sure there isn't a problem with the audio cable not being
connected.  The laptop is a Dell and it is pretested before leaving the
factory.  The thing is, the laptop came with Windows Vista on it.
Windows Vista got booted the first time that I turned the laptop on to
the point where I got the setup screen that you get the first time.
This was only because I wasn't quick enough hitting the F2 button to get
into the BIOS.  I never set Vista up, I installed Gentoo and the laptop
does not dual boot.