Kent Fredric wrote:

> Does your CDROM drive have a dedicated headphone socket?, if so, plug
> it in and see if you get any sound.
> My personal suggestion : ditch kscd. My cd player/sound system works
> fine, and kscd just thrashes doing the exact same thing you did ( I
> removed my audio cable to ensure proper digital extraction... it just
> didn't play ball )
<snip>

> Amarok should also  be able to play CD's digitally via Xine ( tested
> here to work )
Any of you guys fans of animated flicks?  Remember in the first Aladdin
movie when Aladdin dupes the genie into an extra wish and the genie
says, "Boy do I feel stupid"?  Well that's me.

What can I say, I'm a creature of habit.  I have always used kscd to
play audio CD's, but I'm a big fan of amaroK for playing my music
collection.  However, amaroK worked fine to play an audio CD.  I really
don't understand what the  me, but it doesn't really matter.  In the
end, I can do what I wanted to do!

Thanks everyone for their patience.  Gentoo is not only the *best*
distribution IMHO, but the participants on the gentoo-user mailing list
are the *absolute best* - much better than some of the distro-specific
mailing lists that I participated in before I "saw the light" and
switched to Gentoo!

Thanks again!

Colleen