On 8/1/07, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:28:46 +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but 1: no INITRD is built,
>
> Which you rarely need with a hand built kernel, but if you do it can be
> compiled with the kernel.
>
> >  2: using genkernel build script will automatically add new entries in
> > grub.conf ie:
>
> make install removes the need for adding new entries to an ever-growing
> menu.lst, all you need are two entries for current kernel and previous
> kernel (vmlinu[zx] and vmlinu[zx].old).

Right. The only reason I see for keeping genkernel (and the reason I
use it in the first place) is a machine that changes hardware
frequently (like mine at work), so, a simple rsync of my whole HD to
the new machine can boot with most hardware recognized for a
starter...

I also use it on my laptops because its easier... (but that's not a
good reason, cause there are people who think manual build is easier).

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil