Hi,

I was having trouble with my desktop and couldn't get it to boot.  There
were some files on the hard drive that hadn't been included in my last
backup that I wanted.  On a lark, I took the hard drive out of my
desktop (built by me) and put it into and old Dell Optiplex GX100 that I
have.  Yes, I know - different hardware.

I booted to the Gentoo Stage 3 installation CD and pretty much followed
all the steps that are in the Gentoo Handbook.  The only things that I
didn't do were partition the hard drive and do the section on installing
Grub.  The problem that I am having with the installation is that the
install CD recognized my network device and the internet connection
works fine, even in the chroot'd environment.  However, when I boot from
the hard drive, the network connection is *not* recognized.  The card is
a 3Com 905C and the driver that I am supposed to load, according to
"Help" when I was compiling genkernel, is 3c90x.  However, when I boot,
I get an error when it comes to configuring dhcp.  dmesg provides no
help 'cause it looks like it is loading the appropriate driver.  And
before you ask - :-) I *did* do the step 'cp -L /etc/resolv.conf
/mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf when I was supposed to.  (I'm adding that
last comment because it *was* a step I missed the first couple of times
I installed Gentoo!)

Any ideas?

Regards,

Colleen