Mick wrote:
> Hmm, I just checked a utf-8 file after I edited it and it says:
>
> :set encoding
>  encoding=latin1
>
> I assume this means that it was changed from utf8 to latin1

No.  To see what encoding a file has, you could use 'file'.  Run
'file thefileyouedited', and it should say "UTF-8 Unicode text".
When you open the file again with vim, it will say "[converted]" on
the status line: converted from utf-8 to latin1.

> (whatever this is . . . is it relevant to ISO-8859-1?)

Latin1 is a synonym for ISO-8859-1.

Because your LANG isn't set, the default is Latin1, as you could
have learned by typing ':help enc' in vim.

> Not sure I understand what all this means.  Is my Vim
> installation working as it should?

You can edit any file you like, vim will auto-convert on read and
write.

> Do I have to change my locale?

Depends on what you want.  If new files should be UTF-8 encoded,
then change your locale.  Otherwise you're fine as you are.

Benno