Garry Smith <garry.smith <at> computer.org> writes:

> Hi James

{SNIP}

> Try the above. This is a great little camera and I am really glad I
> bought it.

> Garry

Hello Garry,

Last last night I got it to work, noodling around with it, I figured
out you have to push several menu buttons before IVMAN picked up the
usb device. Once that happened, I was off to the races.

I do appreciate your meticulous instructions. In fact we should
build/populate a sony/handicam gentoo wiki, so it is very straight
forward For other to use a sony HDD video camera with Gentoo...
I have many things I want to try and do with Gentoo and the family
video camera. Virtually all of the players I tested last night,
vlc, mplayer kaffeine and codeine all worked fabulously with the
Mpeg(2) files, I tried. Right now, I've got about 75 individual
files in a dir because I stopped and started the camera after
each play on my sons football game. That way I can figure out
how to index into the game, on a chronological basis,to review an
individual play, or just watch the entire game from start to finish.

I'm going to write some simple scripts to auto convert
these ugly (name )files to something more meaningful
and logical, keeping each game in a separate dir. I wonder if anyone
has hacked any database stuff to help one manage a large collect
of video files....

Now on to converting them to Mpeg4-avc (h.264).....

More to come, but, THANKS for your advice.
You are right on the money.......

James