On 8/14/07, Dan Cowsill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/13/07, Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I updated to the new gnome.  After battling the expat problem, I was
> > able to get a clean emerge and an empty revdep-rebuild (with Bo's
> > help).
> >
> > But gnome is broken on this system (others have reported similar
> > problems).
> >
> > In my case basically all gnome apps, e.g. panel, gnucash, evolution,
> > gnome-terminal, evince fail when a normal user logs in.
> >
> > With a root login, gnome-terminal fails, but panel, gnucash, evolution
> > seem to work (didn't try evince as root).
> >
> > For a normal user gnome login, I use either a shell in emacs or go to
> > a virtual terminal and start an xterm.  In any case when I try to
> > start a gnome app (e.g. gnucash), no output is produced, no window
> > appears, but the app shows up in   ps x.
> >
> > I would be very appreciative for any help.
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> > allan gottlieb
> > --
> >

> I am experiencing similar issues to Allan, and I thought it may have
> something to do with user settings.  So, starting from a clean slate,
> I created a new user and tried to log in, first with gdm and then from
> the console with startx.  Both times with the same result.  It seems
> to make the problem worse.  I don't quite know how that could be.  I
> then went back to my old user and started deleting all of the .folders
> one by one and trying to log in.  Folders relevant to the problem
> seemed to be .gnome2 and .metacity.
>
> Perhaps it's a problem with metacity?
>
> Either way, I'm by no means a guru, but I'll try to help as much as possible.
>
> --
> Dan Cowsill
> http://www.danthehat.net

An interesting development:  I removed my user from the system and
deleted his home folder.  After that, I made the user again and tried
logging in.  I got a whole bunch of configuration errors...  But I
don't understand how this could be.  I created ANOTHER user with a
different name and logged in...  perfectly.  Everything seems to work
with this user, and nothing seems to work with my user.

Are user-based settings stored in some other place?

--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net