On Monday 20 August 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
> 070820 Mick wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 August 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
> >> I copied a series of dirs to my USB stick
> >> & as each one was done, they took successively longer to finish,
> >> tho' they were all roughly the same size.  It must be something
> >> to do with the way the data is laid out on the stick.
> >
> > Is this the case when you sync after copying each dir to the stick?
>
> I haven't tried doing that (it wb a bit of a pain in ordinary usage):
> what difference might it make ?

I've noticed on some CF devices IO buffering caused increasingly longer
copying times.  This was over an older 1.1 interface, not the faster USB2.0.
I never bottomed out if this has something to do with the CF onboard
controller or the PC USB controller.  Small files went across fine, it was
the larger 700MB+ that started splattering.  Ultimately, the copying would
complete, but take increasingly longer to get there.

Running sync will write all cached data into the card.  Anyway, just a thought
to see if loading the cache with successive files causes it.
--
Regards,
Mick