I started having problems with my boot password not too long after I
changed it and I stumbled upon something altogether weird.

The following is a copy of what grub is giving me for an md5 hash:

--

grub> md5crypt

Password: ****
Encrypted: $1$vhwK6$dV.xpYBymjq7.cZVnFZYe0

grub> md5crypt

Password: ****
Encrypted: $1$miwK6$BKU11//PyeKMxtgiCbEeZ0

grub> md5crypt

Password: ****
Encrypted: $1$njwK6$3KqXwDtPqGm6cBGQgSl2.0

grub> md5crypt

Password: ****
Encrypted: $1$YkwK6$QCQguFhrGofbJXYnA62J91

grub>

--

Now, keep in mind that the word I'm typing is 'test'.  No
capitalization, no spaces, no nonsense.  And yet the hashes md5crypt

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks.

--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net