Hi everyone,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get wireless going on my laptop.
I've tried so many things, I'm a bit dizzy and don't know where I've
gone right or wrong.

First things first.  lspci shows my wireless hardware as:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

I've tried to follow this guide:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw3945

When I get to the point where it tells me to do modprobe ipw3945, I get
a message (and since I added ipw3945d to the default runlevel, I also
get this same message on boot) about not being able to find:

chown '/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945/00*/cmd' no such file or directory

lsmod does not list the driver even though I emerged it and added it to
the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file

I tried doing a google on the above error message and one of the hits
indicated that the person had the same problem, but at least had the
ipw3945 directory in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/  I don't even have that.

I have no idea what is going on here, so any help would be appreciated.
And since I'm not really strong in networking, please lead me by the nose.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org