Hi guys:

I wouldn't like, but i have to say that all current available linux
desktop search engines are rubbish. Keep reading, and you'll know why.

1. Beagle is full of buggy. Can you imagine what makes a software consumes
five hundrend Megabits of memory? On my system, this beast consumes
almost all of memory and makes my swap half full. Besides, it also
monopolizes CPU and makes my system unusable. When you search something,
beagle gives you some hints which is not good enough. Beagle can search
chm, pdf etc. files.

2. Tracker is boasting itself of consuming little system resource and
quick responding speed. It's true when compared with beagle and google
desktop search. It consumes about twenty five megabits on idle state and
gives you something in an acceptable time. But what can be called a
search engine when it returns nothing you want? In other hand, tracker
can't index chm file.

3. Google desktop search is heavy like beagle. It makes my system so
slow that I wonder whether it is the product of google. It is source
closed and only binary distributed. But this is unimportant, and who
will be interested in the source of such ugly software :-)

In one word, there is no useable desktop search engine for linux.

--
Shaochun Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]